Wednesday, April 21, 2010

3D or Not 3D: That Is The Question?

When the movie Avatar was out in theaters recently, in both standard and 3D versions, I ponied up the most money I ever spent for a non-IMAX movie--$13.00--to see it in three dimensions.

And relatively speaking, I would have to say it was worth it. Although a bit much to take in, especially for nearly three hours, the 3D was extremely cool and seemed to be the way the movie was meant to be seen.

Tomorrow, Earth Day, the super-sized environmental (and anti-imperialism) polemic is being released on DVD. But although 3D TV is the "next big thing" in consumer electronics, with its hype greatly accentuated by the success of Avatar--the highest grossing movie ever--and both 3D HDTVs and Blu-Ray players are now available for purchase, the Avatar DVD is not being released in a 3D format.

While I am someone who has purchased dozens of DVD movies on the day of their release, I don't know that I will be getting Avatar anytime soon, even though I really liked the movie.

To begin with, I don't currently have a steady income, so I haven't been buying DVDs like I used to, and though I did get a Blu-Ray player this year, I've only purchased one Blu-Ray movie. I think the Blu-Ray price point is a bit steep, even for new releases--the Avatar Blu-Ray is $19.99 through Amazon; $22.99 at Best Buy--especially compared to standard DVDs, so I've largely stopped buying either format (as it makes no sense to invest in lower quality, but I can't justify the higher cost for Blu-Ray).

Second, I am a Netflix user and I'm sure I can eventually borrow the Blu-Ray version when I care to see it again, or rent the standard DVD through RedBox for just a dollar (although I'm sure the Blu-Ray is not only so much cooler than the standard, it comes with a revamped plot that wasn't recycled from Dances With Wolves). 

But beyond my own personal economics or rental options, I'm not buying Avatar because I--and even director James Cameron--believe it's really meant to be seen in 3D. And though I don't know that I'll be jumping on the 3D bandwagon anytime soon, especially as I just got the standard Blu-Ray player and have it connected to a projector that I also hope to use for many years to come, perhaps I might upgrade my equipment one day when 3D becomes truly ubiquitous.

Still, per the insight of this CNET article (this 3D TV FAQ page is also good), the reason that Avatar wasn't released in 3D is kind of a Catch 22. You see, there isn't enough of a market yet for 3D movies because not that many people have the needed equipment (a new 3D TV, 3D Blu-Ray player and Active Shutter glasses), but without more 3D movies, the 3D-equipment market won't blossom all that quickly.

And while it might seem that there'll never be a better movie than Avatar 3D to prompt consumers to invest in the equipment, I guess Fox Home Video didn't want to acutely make people think about waiting to buy the 3D version if they could get their $20-25 for the standard or Blu-Ray version now.

According to CNET, the 3D version of Avatar won't be released for another year or two, with the November release of a Special Edition DVD & Blu-Ray coming first.

So if you are going out to buy Avatar tomorrow, be aware that even if you buy the Blu-Ray as a step up from the Standard DVD, you're going to wish you waited until November for the one with a bunch of special features, and if you want the 3D version--especially if you were one of the few early adopters of the equipment, expecting to enjoy Avatar in all its glory--you're going to have to wait and/or pony up again.

Cripes, I think I'll just read a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment